Sunday, October 25, 2015

New Tea From Scotland Produced - Kinnettles Gold

Always on the hunt for new and exciting teas, the other day I ran across the story of Kinnettles Gold, a new tea grown and produced in Scotland. I was amazed to be reading about a tea coming out of Scotland, as tea is a sub-tropical plant that really should not grow so far north. Yet, here it was, the first ever harvest** of Camellia sinensis coming out of Scotland.

Only 2kg of tea was produced this harvest, and I'm hoping a bit more is produced in the next harvest as this is a tea I really want to taste. The terroir, light, and uniqueness that Scotland is must have resulted in a highly interesting tea. Produced from mixed varietals including ex Soviet Georgian and Soviet clone Kolkhida, the tea was grown near Angus at an altitude of 400' above sea level; the hand-rolled, golden tipped tea sounds highly unique!

Pekoe Tea in the UK is the only place selling the tea, so it will not come to the US market, but I would love to get a pound next year to try out if it does. The owner of Kinnettles Gold, Susie Walker-Munro has an interesting history with tea, as it was her great-great-great-grandfather Charles Alexander Bruce who was largely responsible for bringing tea from India to the British market in 1839.

______________________________________________
Last year I brought into the cafe the delicious and expertly produced Amba OP1 from Sri Lanka. One of the better Ceylon teas I have tried, this tea sold well and was one of my favorites. Yet, I was saddened to learn that it was no longer going to be produced, and that the Amba Tea Estate was going to focus on mixed blends rather then high-end artisan tea. The reason, I found out, was that the main person at Amba was leaving and so the Estate was taking a new direction. Now, here is the news of this Scottish tea and who is behind it, but Beverly-Claire Wainwright, the same person who had worked at Amba to create the Amba OP1. Because of my love for the Amba OP1, I was even more excited to hear about this new Kinnettles Gold.

With fond memories of the Amba OP1 still fresh on my palette my hopes are high that the Angus Farm will continue to produce Kinnettles Gold and that I will get to try a small bit in the future! For a tea buyer, it is always exciting to learn about new artisanal teas, and it doesn't get much more artisanal than this.

**I've been informed that Kinnettles Gold is not the first tea out of Scotland, and that there are other Scottish artisinal teas, so I changed the headline.

5 comments:

  1. With respect to the author of this piece this is far from "the first ever harvest of Camellia sinensis coming out of Scotland." There are three other Scottish tea gardens supplying retailers and hoteliers in Edinburgh, New York, Paris and London since 2014;

    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/the-worlds-first-scottish-tea-at-10-a-cup-9866437.html
    http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/lowell-hotel-debut-scotlands-1st-home-grown-tea/story?id=31554493
    http://www.newsweek.com/2015/03/27/forget-whisky-scots-are-producing-new-tipple-tea-315394.html
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/food/drinks-corner/How-about-some-Japanese-scotch-and-Scottish-tea/articleshow/46662479.cms
    http://food24.ilsole24ore.com/2015/03/il-migliore-te-del-mondo-viene-dalla-scozia/
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/amultree-tea-plantation-boss-gets-5325786

    There is in fact a Scottish Tea Growers Association and ten members. With this being easy to research in five countries and three languages why were these facts ignored?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for commenting. Obviously I don't know much about the growing Scottish tea industry, which is very exciting. Perhaps it is because only until recently have any Scottish teas been available in the US? I'd love to find out more, and will begin to do some research. It looks like the inaugural meeting of the Scottish Tea Growers Association was only yesterday, so perhaps for someone in the industry in Scotland this is old news, but for us in the US, this is mostly unknown. I buy tea for a cafe here in Boulder, Colorado, and if you are associated with any grower, please put them in touch with me as I'd love to see about carrying some of their tea. goldenteacolorado@gmail.com Like I say on my about page, I don't claim to be an expert by any means. Thanks for the links and information! Excited to see (and hopefully taste) #ScottishTeaRevolution.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and sorry for the "first" claim, that came from the article I linked to and the press material from Kinnettles Gold.

      Delete
  2. If you're looking to order Scottish grown tea for the US then please try; http://weeteacompany.com/index.php/scottish-tea.html
    As you can see it's under $30 for twice the amount and is already served in top US hotels.

    If Kinnittles Gold are making claims about being the first tea from Scotland it would be extraordinary, especially given the aforementioned international media coverage. Sorry if you've been mislead but please can you change your story on line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I look forward to trying some! Very exciting. I'll change the headline.

      Delete